Saturday, April 24, 2010

More than meets the eye

Well, whatd’ya know. My styles changed already. Not drastically or any of that, but enough to point out, Mostly with the eyes. Interestingly enough, Eyes are both the most integral part of my art, it’s also the part I change the most (I had to change my whole style completely when I changed my eyes for the first time.) I actually went through two styles of eyes over this week before settling on the ones I have now.




Not only that, but I also worked on shading via digitally. I had more success than I thought, but more on that when I get to that picture:





First of two side views, both were done back to back



I think I like the next one better, this ones snout bothers me too much. What you can see of the ear is nice, if only because of how it hides into the hair. Not too much to say on this one actually.





This ones snout looks much better if I ever said. The hair does look a little odd, but nothing too bad. If I keep working I could actually keep side views looking consistent (Side views used to be as daunting as drawing arms and legs are right now.) Notice in both of these pictures I used my old eyes (eyes number one.) I drew this on the same sheet of paper as the next one. The next picture was originally just an eye doodle, but I liked the eye, so I drew a head around it…see this is why my in-class doodles are always cut off.





Hehe, I just realized how much this looks like the Avatar movie Poster



Introduce eye number two (hi eye, nice to meet you.) The eyes are certainly more feline than the other ones, but looking back on it, I don’t think they’re my favorite. I did multiple other drawings with these eyes on them (which I refuse to show anyone) and they just don’t look…right on them.

I might as well point out that this face is suffering from being way too similar to a circle. I circle qualities in the face, but this one is way to…umm…circle-y.





Hey look, more stuff I haven’t ever showed you before



SNOUTS! This is a first for me. I studied up on how to draw them and attempted it. Lo and behold, it actually worked. It looks pretty nice; it was so nice that I digitized it (That’s a term on Digimon, right? I haven’t watched that show in ages.) The only major thing that bothers me is the hair. I’m not a master at hair, so I don’t know how real this looks. It’s a nice little style I think, but the presentation could use some work on it. This is also the only picture I did with eyes number two that I actually enjoy.

No, I’m not exactly sure what kind of canine it is. I guess it could be some coyote or fox or something. It doesn’t matter immensely, because if I make it into a character of mine I’ll figure it out then. I think she’s probably some desert dog thing.





I didn’t color the shirt for a reason



I have always been a little worried about digitally drawing for three reasons:

1) I recently got a tablet for Christmas, but I am not good at drawing with it yet. I think it has to do with hand eye coordination. Until I get good at it, I’ll always be a little worried about digitally drawing.

2) I never seem to pick natural colors for my characters.

3) I don’t have a system for shading.



Well, wow, I am honestly surprised by how this turned out, the shading especially. It was a mixture between using the burn/dodge tools and using a method that takes a while to explain, so I’ll just call it method purple (and that isn’t a random color by the way.) I fixed some of the hair so it looked more natural. I actually really like how this turned out. It’s easily my best digital work ever. I’m really quite proud of it. I’ve always preferred digitally drawing as opposed to inking my art, so if I get more consistent with this, I can finalize pictures via digital…Huzzah!







Why yes, I did draw this upside down…how’d you know?



Finally, eye number three, easily my favorite of all three. It’s more malleable, thus I can show more emotion with it and it’s the easiest to draw consistently (Plus I just love how they look like Dots…I love that candy <3)

It’s a little weird, how I advance in drawing I mean. Usually when it’s something that stays, I didn’t ever study it. It just kind of…came out of thin air. It was hints of inspiration. I guess it just comes from drawing almost 24/7. Hey, I don’t mind, whatever gets my art better I’ll probably do. I guess I’ll show you guys next week what strange thing I’ve done next, until then, so long.



Adieu, Adieu, to you and you and you-u-u,

Pikachao

No comments:

Post a Comment