Saturday, May 1, 2010

5 fixable things

As it’s the end of the month, I’ve decided to show the ‘interwebz’ my monthly “What can I improve on” session (granted, I do it more that this, but Monthly is my bare minimum.) After days of studying my art, I’ve come up with five things that bother me about my artwork. I don’t hate my art, but I have many ways to improve, I figure that putting out there what I want to change is a smart thing to do (but don’t expect this every month, this won’t happen all that commonly.) These are ranked from least obnoxious to most obnoxious in my opinion, some are problems with my art, others are things that I don’t do in my art, but all are things I need to fix…so, on with the show.






5. I Want To Make More Styles Of Hair

Meh, this one’s minor, so I’ll keep the explanation short. Most of my hair is way similar, so I want to change that to make my characters look more unique (which I’ll talk more about on number three)…and that’s all…simple as that…not much else to say, so I’ll just go right on into number four.

4. I Don’t Use Those Little Shapes And Lines When Starting New Art.

This bothers me to no end. Every other artist that I like use circles, lines, and other shapes as a skeleton of sorts to build there characters. I DON’T DO THAT. It makes me feel inadequate. I don’t mean tat I refuse to try it, I mean that when I do, it always looks bad (I’d show you, but I have no nerve whatsoever to do that. The only good that came out of those was it was a major stepping stone in my style, and by that I mean it made me like drawing furries.) My friend (The mystery, maybe, blogger) Claims that she doesn’t do it either. She thinks it’s too conformist, but I have to point out that EVERY Artist that I enjoy on DA uses this same system (I’m almost sure of it) and look at them, there art is pretty dang good. (This used to be first, but I’m getting better at this)



3. I Want To Make More Unique Looking Characters

This one really comes back to number five. I feel that my characters aren’t exactly the easiest to distinguish. I may be wrong on this considering how harsh I am on my own art (which is rule number one for being an artist, you have to hate your art…bloody terrible rule if you ask me, I can’t look at my art without thinking it’s horrible.) It’s not the character themselves; I know that for a fact, I try quite hard to make my characters look unique in planning. Like the other two below it, it’s both not a huge deal to me and I’ve been getting slowly better at making the characters look more unique.



2. I Feel Inadequate When It Comes To Inking, Paper or Digital.

Another one that drives me insane, after I finish drawing on I do the first logical thing I can think of, scan it into the computer. Now I prefer digital as opposed to inking, but that still has problems with it. I have a tablet that I’m not the best with yet, so it’s not yet the same quality lineart as with the paper. Mostly the main thing that bothers me about digital art is when I add color to it. I can’t ever seem to find a natural set of colors that look like real colors you’d see on what I’m drawing. After I find a somewhat good color scheme I usually end up messing it up when I shade. Shading is more of a problem because I don’t have a set way to do it. I’ve heard of many ways to do it, but most don’t work the best for me. Using the Burn/Dodge tools can look nice, but it’s way too easy to mess up. I’m still in the search for a good way to shade, but, for now, I’m going to have to work with what I can do.



1. I Can’t Make Working Bodies

Easily the most bothersome part of drawing for me. I want to be able to draw my characters…all of them…actually doing stuff. Currently I’m stuck on drawing shoulders and above only. It’s a mixture of a lot of things: I’m scared to start drawing more than I’m comfortable with. I am always worried about ruining a picture by adding something I’m not good at onto it. Another key reason probably has to do with how I learn. No matter how many classes I take, tutorials I read, or art books I buy, I only ever seem to get better when I’m drawing on my time. Sure I study a lot of people’s art and that comes in handy when I’m drawing by myself, but I can never seem to draw something new well unless it’s not completely on purpose. Almost all of the ways that I draw today started out as simple doodles I drew in class or while I was bored. If I was making an honest effort to draw something in some specific way, I wouldn’t like how it turned out. It’s some weird style of learning. I’m sure that eventually I’ll learn my way of drawing bodies, but I have no clue when I will start to do that. It could be tomorrow or five years from now. It’s a little worrisome I’d say. I hope it comes sooner than later.











I apologize for the lack of pictures on this one, but I promise to post two weeks worth of pictures next week. Sound good? I’m also sorry if I sound depressed, cause I’m not, I’m just putting out my goals for all to see. Heck, I’m working on improving it quite a bit as we speak. None of those artists that I like just started. They’ve gone through years (for the most part) of drawing, I started this year. I’ve got a lot of time to improve.



Dont’cha just love walls of text?

Pikachao

No comments:

Post a Comment